Thursday, June 10, 2010

RED & WHITE (a taste of Peru)


Lunch today is 1.45pm at RED & WHITE
165 Melbourne Street, South Brisbane


They are having a $12/- lunch special
(choice of six dishes) with a tag-line
"Enjoy Brisbane's only authentic Peruvian food"
on its sandwich board and flyers


Got myself seated in front of the espresso machine
LA MARZOCCO
Waiter with runny nose approached me and
asked if I would like to have anything other than water


The Pass
Communication was observed between cook and waiter


Restaurant ambience was pretty good
Warm lighting mixed with natural lighting
Beautiful mural, speckless-clean dining area
However no music was played
Was expecting some Peruvian or Spanish music




Coffee and Cakes
Could be a nice place to hang out for coffee?
Maybe? Read on..


Waiter with Runny Nose told me that
because it was a busy day,
only the last three item on the menu was available:
Escabeche de Pollo, Adobo de Chanco and Seco de Cordero
Hmm... Stock-out situation
So I asked for a recommendation
which the waitered suggested the Lamb Stew




Seco de Cordero
$15.00
Lamb stew cooked in coriander, red wine, aji panca and aji Amarillo. Served on Peruvian style beans puree and steamed rice.
Dish arrived in about 8min, as Waiter in Runny Nose presented my dish
The presentation is beautiful, fresh parsley was used as condiment
However on the chef's part, the combination of starch and meat
make it seem like baby food - similiar to Indian Kitchen
Beans puree is Garbanzo Beans (chickpea) kinda pungent
I would suggest frying them with spices before making the puree


Lamb Stew is a overly salty, lacks character and cold be stewed longer
Rice was properly cooked
I'm commenting from a Singaporean point-of-view
This could genuinely be "Peruvian-style" for all I know!


Cafe Latte
$3.00
Espresso was well.. Doesn't taste like espresso
Milk was flat
Really what I was expecting from a
La Marzocco + Campos combination
So I blame it on the Runny Nose Waiter

Return Factor: Not likely

3 comments: